(Featured Photo Credit: By Gratisography from Pexels)
I’ve always had fine and thin hair since I was young. In fact, my sister is the one blessed with hair so thick that even when she chopped it off short just months before her wedding, it grew back like magic!
So, since last year, I’ve been doing my own hair oiling regime, alternating between castor oil, coconut oil, argan oil, candlenut oil and Zamzam oil once or twice a week to leave overnight. As much as I want to shout that my hair oiling regime has helped the baby hairs to grow, I can only claim that they help to reduce the hairfall and probably slow down the greying bit.
Here’s what I found out from my hair oiling regime:
- Castor Oil – some friends claim they start seeing baby hairs growing around their forehead and all. As for me, castor oil works better on my eyelashes. My eyelashes have indeed grown thicker after two weeks of application.
- Coconut Oil – many of my Indian friends swear on this! I’ve tried a few different brands though to test out the stickiness. It helps to moisturise the strands and keep the frizz away. If you have frizzy or curly hair, this will really be a great addition to your beauty rack. You just need to spend a bit more time to shampoo the residues off.
- Argan Oil – just nice! It helps to keep my hair soft and shiny. I can’t comment much on the effects though because I find it more useful on my skin than on my hair. For softness and shine, other oils work too.
- Candlenut oil – this is used widely among the older generation of Malay women. I didn’t know about this remedy until my sister mentioned it. So, yes, this is also good. I see less hair fall and my hair becomes darker and sleeker too!
- Zamzam Oil – now this is legen-wait-for-it-dary! This oil has been popular since my mother was very young. In fact, when I Googled I just found it, the manufacturer has been around since 1947! Anyway, this is the motherlode! It is by far one of the best hair oils I’ve used and it really helps with the hair fall and volume. The only downside is the intense jasmine scent and the super oily (it is oil anyway, duh!) texture that requires 2 or 3 washes before you can really start drying and styling your hair.
I’ve even posted about some of these products on my Social Media. Some friends have shown interest to try and surprisingly, even male friends have used Zamzam Oil to help with hair fall.
So, ladies! If you’re not willing to spend so much on hair serums and tonic, perhaps you can give any of these a try and let me know which one suits your hair type best!
Read this article in Bahasa Melayu here, LINK.
One Reply to “Oil La La… Your Hair!”